Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Liverpool; SUN 13th Jan @ 13.30pm ** MOD NOTE POST #1 **

• 07-01-2013 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭

** MOD NOTE **

As you all are aware this game is one of the biggest in terms of fan rivalries that we deal with here on a regular basis.

I'm sure you're all aware of the Charter, if not take a look at it, as these threads have historically produced a massive amount of cards for various reasons.

There is nothing to suspect that this thread wont be the same as we've already had cards and its only Friday afternoon.

I'm just asking that you all relaise this is one of the most heavily moderated match threads we deal with and any breach of the charter will result in warnings and bans.

If you have a problem with anything in the thread report it, dont respond to abuse or WUM or you too could pick up a card.

Us Mods arent here to be Buzz Killington's but try keep it clean as its a very fine line between banter and abuse once you dont breach the charter you wont be carded, so if you do find yourself on the wrong of a card or ban you cant say you haven't been warned.

Just to add this - Gifs that only serve a purpose to inflame or drag a thread off topic or otherwise do not contribute to a thread will be removed, if it is considered that the only purpose of that gif was to further inflame an argument, then the poster may receive a warning for it. (ie Michael Jackson/Popcorn gif/pictures)

Also be aware that if you have picked up cards this season, a further card WILL result in a ban from the forum depending on how many previous cards you have picked up.

Mod Team.

Sky Sports 1

Ref :

howard-webb.jpg?w=281&h=257

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

RVP to rule this game...

Should be close these games always are tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

my least favourite game of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Any chance of a United v Liverpool Neutrals Thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

This could be the best thread of 2013 and we'll only be a week or so in.

Are popcorn gifs banned? If so they should be allowed back for one glorious swansong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Ugh don't like Howard Webb. He's given a few big decisions against us lately.

Regardless I'm confident in a 2-0 to United.

Ooooohh Robin van Persie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

The week has that anxious feel to it, yep it's Man United v Liverpool. Alot of me just dreads this fixture these days to the point I can't wait until its over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the ladies lounge is that way >>>>>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

No crests?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Im afraid Robin Van persie is a machine and he can carry united. Not expecting much in this one.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Sure most of the Liverpool fans will be "neutral" for this one if previous match threads involving United are anything to go by ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Prediction:

Liverpool to be all over Utd for about 20 mins, Utd go down the other end and score.

Utd to score after a sustained period of pressure to go 2-0 up.

Liverpool score, but never look like equalising despite lots of possession.

Game finishes 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

No crests?

No, and hopefully it'll stay that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

4-1 to Liverpool Suarez hat-trick and one for Gerrard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its Monday! :eek:

Will we all have a bet and see how long this thread can stay civilised? I predict by 10 o'clock tonight at the latest!

The pattern of the last few games has us starting very strongly. Hopefully we impose ourselves early. Liverpool always step it up in the big games and have shown what they're capable of.

Hopefully Rooney might make it but having Nani back is a huge factor. Hopefully the game is decided fairly on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Will we all have a bet and see how long this thread can stay civilised? I predict by 10 o'clock tonight at the latest!

Optimistic?:p

Staying well away from this thread.

Not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

mike65 wrote: »
    Its Monday! :eek:

biggest game of the season so far, no other football to worry about this week for both sets of fans and the game is already being discussed on both superthreads i would imagine.

may as well keep it all in one place where the mods can easily keep an eye incase things get out of hand.

Not worth it.

You know you won't be able to Kew, car crash haven to look n'all that ;)

Not worth it.

Ah these are always the best threads.

Awaits joint United-Liverpool XI and Suarez debate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Not looking forward to this game

I expect RVP to make a mockery of our back line :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Think it will be a close game. The outcome will depend on RVP and Webb.

4-1 to Liverpool Suarez hat-trick and one for Gerrard.

90/1 for that score!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

How about everyone posts who they are going for now so the "neutrals" will easily be recognised?

Liverpool fan here 2-0 United :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

This thread is about 5 days to early.

I'll re-open it Friday.

Closed for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

soApP.jpg

One of the Premier League's biggest fixtures of the season takes place on Sunday with table-toppers Manchester United hosting eternal Northwest rivals Liverpool at Old Trafford.

Always a match that attracts viewers from all over the world, this game sees the hosts leading the visitors by a whopping 21 points at this stage in the season. But with Liverpool in steadily improving form, it should be an entertaining clash.

With second-placed Manchester City not in action until Sunday afternoon, United will be hoping for a win to take them at least temporarily 10 points clear at the top of the league table. Liverpool, on the other hand, are looking for a win which would put them level on points with Arsenal—who face City at home in the other clash on Sunday.

Team News

Rumours abound that United boss Alex Ferguson is looking to replace goalkeeper David de Gea, who has again this season been in and out of the side, sharing first-team duties with Anders Lindegaard. He should, however, retain his place for this match, having kept two clean sheets in his past two matches.

Ferguson will have a decision to make over Nemanja Vidic, who played in the league game at home to West Brom and in the FA Cup tie against West Ham, but is still recuperating from a long injury layoff. The Serbian has played only seven times in the league this season, and his presence would be a big boost to United's defence, though he has never had a particularly good time against Liverpool, being sent off three times.

For Liverpool themselves, Daniel Sturridge is in line for a league debut having made a goal-scoring start to his Reds career in the FA Cup.

The defence should remain unchanged with Andre Wisdom, who signed a new contract with the club this week, continuing at right-back and Glen Johnson on the left.

Perhaps the biggest question for manager Brendan Rodgers will be over whether to play Joe Allen or Jordan Henderson, who started the victory over Sunderland, as the third central midfielder alongside Lucas Leiva and Steven Gerrard.

The Premier League's top two goal-scorers, Robin van Persie and Luis Suarez, will go head-to-head, looking to increase their tallies of 16 and 15 respectively.

United are likely to be without forward Wayne Rooney for the game after his manager ruled him out for three weeks—but it wouldn't be the first time a United player made a miraculous comeback in time for a big game, so there are no guarantees.

Nani and Anderson both have hamstring injuries to deal with but have started only seven league games between them anyway, while Phil Jones is also a doubt.

Liverpool are missing Martin Kelly with a long-term knee injury sustained against Manchester United at Anfield last year, but forward Fabio Borini is closing in on a return after three months out with a broken foot bone.

Jose Enrique is the only other absentee after suffering a torn hamstring.

Form Guide

Sitting top of the league table, it will be no surprise to learn that United are in great form, winning eight of their last nine league matches and drawing the other one.

The defensive record has picked up of late with two clean sheets in a row, having conceded 10 goals in the five league matches previous to that. United are far and away the top scorers in the division, having scored 54 so far—13 clear of their nearest rival.

Liverpool have been on a much-improved run since the start of December after being thoroughly inconsistent beforehand. The Reds have won seven of their last nine in all competitions and five of their last seven in the league.

Goal-scoring has remained an issue, but the improved form of the likes of Steven Gerrard and Stewart Downing, the signing of Sturridge and the goals of Suarez could bring about an end to that problem.

Liverpool need to win to stand a chance of rising to seventh place (depending on West Brom's result on Saturday) which would be their highest league placing of the season so far.

IWYV6.jpg

This should be a cracking game as per usual. I'm sure there will be plenty of cards given out by Mr Webb and not the belated christmas card variety :)
    With united in their current form its hard to see past a home win, but I think Liverpool can spoil the party.
    I'm going for 2-1 Liverpool :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Bit early but can't wait for this game...........nor can these lads!!

webb.jpg?w=610

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Will Rodgers system click on this day for this game?.....doubt it.

Can't see past UTD but by golly I will be screaming for the Pool.

YNWA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

There's already a much better thread that was locked until today, and you're aware of it OP cause you were upset in the Pool thread when it was posted the other day ;)

Attention seeking.

Oh well looks like they will have to lock this thread up then once it hits 30 pages today ;)
    God help MarsBar :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Nah it's grand, it can just be merged it into the original one. Easy peasy.

Anyway going to open this up now.

I'm going to believe in the goodness of humanity and guess we might make it until 10am until someone gets a card.

Frisbee wrote: »

I'm going to believe in the goodness of humanity and guess we might make it until 10am until someone gets a card.

Are you new here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

My prediction
    Man Und 5-1 Liverpool
    RvP(3). Sturridge
    Chico.
    Evra

Suarez (so)

I actually see the first half been very fiery but Und to take control after the sending off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

If it was Anfield I'd have a go on Pool but at OT I thing Utd will win comfortably

3-1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Dont expect liverpool to win, but Im hoping ta fack we do! Always an entertaining match none the less. 2-1 to man utd Id say, rvp to get 2 and Suarez to get the goal for pool

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Based on form logic would suggest a Utd win of some sort but logic goes out the window in these fixtures :)

I'd love a comprehensive Utd win but i'd take a tight win decided by a single goal quite happily!

If Utd can keep Suarez quiet then we have a great chance of the 3 points.

Either way, hopefully the game ends with 22 players on the pitch and no controversy! Wonder what odds i'd get on that happening!

These threads are normally as entertaining as the matches themselves so should be interesting to say the least.

I can see Utd winning by 2 goals.

No crests?

Here you go :D

soApP.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

I'm predicting a score draw and a pretty boring game overall :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

CANT WAIT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

The Liverpool defense is going to up their game for the RVP threat. I wouldn't be surprised in a few early hard tackles early on just to set the tone. Home advantage should see United come through though.

I missed the Anfield fixture in September completely, but IMO this fixture has been fairly tame over recent years (footballing wise) so I'm hoping its a cracker. I'd rather United win by skin of their teeth than 5-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

As I said yesterday, both defences aren't exactly great this season so it's hard to predict what way it's going to go. But I'll take a 3-2 to the pool. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Think it will be fairly tight as it always is and United to get a goal on either side of half time. 2-0 (Evans, RVP)

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I can see Utd winning by 2 goals.

Aylxu.jpg

:p

To help my prediction league, Utd to win 4-2 would be nice* :p

* Not for Liverpool fans though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

GavRedKing wrote: »
    To help my prediction league, Utd to win 4-2 would be nice* :p

* Not for Liverpool fans though.

If Liverpool win,we'll have lots of celebrating this.......:pac::pac:

75354_391453514281885_83403274_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Is Rooney injured if so on current form i could only see RVP getting into the Liverpool squad.

Anyway close game, I'll go Liverpool to win it in the 89 minute by controversial suarez penalty.

Pool 1 - 0 United - suarez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Right let's set the tone and give Mars Bar a baptismal of fire....

Yis are all ****èrs
    :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement